Thursday, October 6, 2011

She the boss.

Food

Over the phone.

Me: Ma, I rea-a-ally got no money! I left x ringgit only.

Mum: Maybank leh? Go Maybank take lah.

Me: No more already, you no top up.

Mum: CIMB loh.

Me: You say CIMB don't take? CIMB my money leh.

Mum: Oh yes ah? Good lah, jian fei. Don't everyday eat so much. The frying pan how? Good ah?

Me: You say must season first? Already left the oil.

Mum: Aiyah, no need so long one lah. Maxim or Tefal?

Me: Maxim, 20 cm, xxx ringgit.

Mum: Oh good, bring back this weekend, I want to test.

She the boss, indeed.

I'm not much of a cook, in fact a bad one I can safely conclude. My mother (like everybody else's mothers) is the second-best cook, if you ask me. Nobody beats my grandmother. Nevertheless, my mother makes the best Nasi Lemak and Mee Hun Kueh. I guess I didn't get much of the "cooking genes" from her. Other than basic spaghetti, egg mayo sandwich, instant noodles, instant soup, instant anything for the matter, I have zero knowledge and experience in cooking. The only reason I'd step into the kitchen is to do the dishes, check on the refrigerator or make myself a hot mug of Milo. 

Unfortunately, living in Subang, away from home, hence away from my mother, I am solely responsible to feed my own stomach. I make sandwiches and instant anythings, most of the time. And as you've read previously, I got myself a frying pan just so that I wouldn't have to live on instant everything all the time. And for the first time, I actually cooked my first meal.


Doesn't look that appetizing eh? It tastes better than it seems, I can assure you that. Simple stir-fry potato leaves with scrambled eggs, pan-fried luncheon meat, instant noodles topped with an omelette (little burnt because mum called).

Things I learnt about cooking today:
  • I diced garlic without a chopping board, I used the bottom of the plate instead. Manageable, nevertheless. But get a chopping board, me!
  • Potato leaves do not give out much sauce, add more water.
  • Vegetables were bland because salt shaker was actually stuck. Fix the salt shaker!
  • Ibumie (instant noodle brand) tastes bad. Texture's too "waxy".
  • Do not pick up a call when making an omelette, or at least turn down the heat before doing so.
Actually it would taste much better if I had white rice. But I went down to the cafeteria and I couldn't afford it. It was megaexpensive, no kidding! The worse thing about cooking? I stood there, preparing for about an hour and a half, but ate everything in 15 minutes. The best thing? It's free! I'm excited for more self-cooked meals ahead. I'll improve, I promise!

Math

A classmate came up to me and counselled me this evening, after class. He asked if I was okay and my first response was, "Why my face got anything?". And he replied, "Yes, pimples". He commented that I was out of my mind to enroll in three Math courses in one semester. As a senior, he briefly gave me his torturous Calculus 3 experience and how Mr Chong will so 'graciously' fail half of the class in the final exam. I smiled faintly in reply, said goodbye and part ways. 

Then, in a whole different note, Linear Algebra is one very difficult subject to grasp. If you have no idea what Linear Algebra is about, think Matrix (film). It's very Sci-Fi isn't it? Now imagine you're Neo. Random nobody placed in a whole different world, era, dimension and suddenly you're The Chosen One. This subject is so conceptual and abstract; with minimal calculations. But it's all so alien to me. I've been thinking a lot of extra-terrestrial life and things like that this entire week. Funny that I'm the only one not getting it, because the entire class seem so quiet during lectures. I give the blur face, ask silly questions and make the whole class go, "Why you so slow one?" (Raxine lah!) at me.

Hence, I am having this weird love/hate relationship with Math now. Hating the workload part, loving the interesting/cool/Sci-Fi part.

If aliens do exist, there is one particular kind I'd like to meet though.


I think we'd get along just fine because we both share the same love for Elvis Aaron Presley.

Motivational

But just because I didn't get what I wanted doesn't mean that I am going to quit believing in the favor of God. No, I know God has my best interests at heart, that He is working everything for my good. A delay may spare me from an accident. Or a delay may cause me to bump into somebody that needs to be encouraged, somebody that needs to see a smile. No matter what does or doesn't happen, keep believing in the favor of God.

Live favor-minded. Get up each day and expect it and declare it. Say, "I have the favor of God". You do your part and God will do His.

- an excerpt of my current read -

Till then, God bless you.
Love, Jas Min.

No comments: