Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Singapodak.

At the very least, I did go for a holiday on my holiday. Went to the small piece of land; what use to be a part of Malaysia.

Reminiscing, the last time I was in Singapore was 5-6 years ago. With my dearest grandmama. I miss her.

This trip wasn't exactly planned. My mother was leaving for JB and she wanted to bring us along but it was company trip. So she thought she could meet us up in SG after her work's done. But it didn't happen in the end because her work wasn't done even after we came back.

Singapore? Oh, I have loads to say. Both, good and bad.

One, the cost of living over there is sibeh the high. I'm sorry but being a pure Klangite that I am. I can't help but convert everything to MYR. Even a bottle of Snapple costs SGD 3. That's like MYR 7.5. Siao. Don't even get me started on cab fares. Suck blood I tell you, really one.

Two, there are still cheap things in SG. Watches, are jaw-droppingly cheap in SG. Too bad that I'm not quite in need of a watch, but my brother bought a G-Shock (some canggih model) for SGD 165. That's approximately MYR 400. And it costs around RM 650 here. So, if you're some time piece collector, chiong to SG and sapu their watches. Gehrentee original and the only down side is that warrantee's valid locally. Which means, tapao your watch back to Malaysia and pray hard it doesn't die before it's suppose to. Oh, brands ranging from G-shock to Fossil to Morgan to Seiko to ELLE, Rolex also got. Got money, what also got lah.

See, I'm being kind here, don't say I don't share.

Three, unfriendly people. Singaporeans are as they say, LCLY. Lan si lan yong. Okay we all know that tiny piece of land is so much more advanced than we are. We can keep comparing but generally, during my whole 4-day stay in SG, I've encountered too many unfriendly people. Immigration officers who don't bother saying 'hello' or 'welcome', when I greet and thanked them. And some very rude aunties and uncles. Well, I'm just saying generally. M'sians aren't that nice too, but it just so happens that I met a whole bunch of cho lor people in SG.

Four, a cyber cafe in SG is called a LAN shop. My holiday was half ruined thanks to one sitting right opposite our hotel. My brother being an avid Mapler, had to spoil it all. I was dragged like a dog by it's leash to sit beside him in that horrible place, for hours. Well it isn't so bad considering that we didn't want to spend so much money.

Five, we did splurge on food though. Technically not us, but Kelly bought us dinner the night we landed. We went to Clarke Quay (and I passed by Attica, the club Kumar went) and had awesome Japanese food.

Brother and I had this, each.

Kelly's Wagyu beef and lobster.

And off it goes to the grill!

Lobster bisque with garlic bread. Best thing ever.

It was mmphh! Bill totaled up to SGD 250. Not we pay so nehmurmind.

Six, we were supposed to go to Universal Studios but my brother and I had some serious thinking through the night before, and we decided not to. Well, because it will cost a lot obviously. And word is, it's only half completed. Some rides aren't open yet and we could still go there some other day when it's done. Anyways, I wasn't that hyped about Universal Studios.

Because seven, I got to go for The Lion King instead! *girly squeals* It wasn't intended but since I was there, why not? Universal Studios can wait, the musical won't! I bought the tickets the night before via online booking. Thank goodness for quite a neat seat priced at SGD 165 (I know, one ticket can buy one G-shock, but why would I need a G-shock for?).

Pretty close to the stage isn't it? Just about 5-7 rows before me.

Program book and my ticket.

Every time I go on concerts and events like these alone, people always question me. Funny. Very surprising for a Malaysian teen to attend a musical alone meh? Same thing for the Air Supply concerts and Chucho Valdez's performance in Petronas's philharmonic place. What's surprising though was the crowd, I thought more of people like me would go for Lion King because it is 'our generation' kind of thing. All I saw were mostly both the extremes of the age group. Very young children and elderly people. I'd comprehend if it were Air Supply or Chucho Valdez, but The Lion King?

Eight, Singaporean malls are super high end. Okay, maybe our KL malls like Pavilion are of that standard too, but there's just too many in SG. Brands like Louis Vuitton, Prada, Burberry, Coach, Miu Miu, Chanel, etc. Big names, in big buildings and damn-straight big price tags too. I didn't even dare step into one of those outlets. Like my garlic breath would contaminate the sanitized air inside or the dirt on my shoe would dirty their carpets or something. Gia lang. Singaporeans are filthy rich.

Well, cannot buy can take photo.

Nine, the wondrous Bugis! Bugis is like our Chee Cheong Gai. Honestly, I've never been to our own, here in M'sia. But it's like I can finally let out the Klang in me after all the pretty/scary malls in Orchard. I bought, nothing. Because I'm not quite the shopper and I only buy when:

I really need it like food.
Special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, etc.
It comes to silly things.

Things like this, a salt shaker.

I absolutely do not need a salt shaker, but just because it's superduper cute. I didn't buy it in the end though, a bit ridiculous right? Had to resist. Pfft.

Ten, thank you fellow companions who made this trip a bittersweet one. My brother, the annohying one.

His new hairstyle. And no, my brother's no longer single.

And Kelly, his ex-girlfriend whom I'm really close to.

Yah, she said must be lala in SG. Hence, the peace sign.

Oh did I tell you I hate iPhones? It was basically a piece of metal when I was in SG. Similarly in Korea, last year. It makes it so stupid to have to tweak some features in it, just to be able to communicate internationally. And any other random phones are just as usable as it was in its' owners' country of origin. Bodoh iPhone. I was unreachable throughout my trip. But thanks to that, I'm now in a new level of Cut the Rope. How lifeless I was.

Well, that's it.
Goodnight and God bless.
Love, Jas Min.

No comments: