Saturday, March 27, 2010

Special Monday.

Or rather.

Sibeh 'sial' Monday.

Sigh. Last Monday was special and sial. Both together, so being me I can't help but to whine and complain about the sial-ness. So anyway, one special thing last Monday was to attend a concert. Not just any ordinary concert but a quintet, to be precise. I've never been to one of those grand halls where bigass orchestras are held. I thought why not go see-see?

I didn't know how it happen but I somehow got into DFP's (Dewan Filharmonik Petronas) website. And Chucho Valdes (Ignore missing Latin 'e' lah kay) appeared. To be precise, I've never heard of this Chucho Valdes before (But I'm definitely not crazy to go spend money to see some unknown's performance lah of course) but the name Valdes rang a bell in my head. And being a faithful Nat King Cole fan I am, Bebo Valdes (Ignore 'e' again) came into mind.

Okay wait. Most of you are probably lost, confused and blur now. So here's the thing, Bebo played for Nat, and Chucho's Bebo's son. There, you get it.

So yes, how can someone not go see Chucho man? Though I've never heard of him before but there goes the saying, 'like father, like son' (Okay no lah. Who believes in that man? I actually did some Googling and Wiki-ed him beforehand, to see if he's as good as his dad. I was right anyway, Chucho's a Grammy winner). I was pretty convinced that going to this Chucho man's concert would be the perfect destressifier. After such a hectic week of work and all.

And so yes. I did all the arrangements myself (My first time too!). Booked the tickets, selected my seats, arranged my own transportation to and fro, and paid all expenses on my own too.

I had 2 major concerns: Who to go with and how to go?

As for who, I went alone.
As for how, my brother (Initial plan).

But what half-spoiled my to-be-perfect Monday was, tbe the frickin' traffic. I had no idea why I was stucked in Klang for 2 hours, but it made me furious. I didn't evolve into Hulk but the concert was scheduled at 2030 and I was still in Klang at 2000. I knew I had to be there even if I were to be late. Diedie also must reach and I thought running to KL would be faster than driving at that moment. And so, my brother took the Kesas to Subang KTM and from there to Sentral, we took the LRT to KLCC. The fuss and the trouble. *shrugs*

But ohwell, I did arrive. At 2050. Redeemed my tickets (Thank God they let me in) and went in. The people there were nice until that one very 'suey' lady who directed me to the wrong row. I was suppose to seated at row S but she directed me to row V (3 rows behind lah omg) and dahlah it was pitchblack. I thought I was at the right place. And to top it off, I went "Excuse me, excuse me" all the way to the end of the row and there was no frickin empty seat. So I stood there like an idiot for 5 seconds or so, with all the others staring at me. Thank God for that very nice angmoh beside me, who pointed out an empty seat two rows behind, right at the edge. Whispered a thank you and quickly ran to save all the embarrassment.

So you see. One, I was late. Two, sesat lady directed me to the wrong row. Three, no empty seat. Four, sat at the corner when I bought center seats. I got the cheaper seat when I paid for the expensive one man! (Still angry after 4 days apparently) All in all, I didn't go and make a big fuss out of it because I didn't want to go "Excuse me, excuse me" from the corner all the way to the center. So yes, can call me St. Minapoh now.

But I did complain nicely after the concert.

Anyway, the concert was great. It was better than I expected it to be, but I thought it was rather short (Finished at 2200). Chucho stole the show but I have to highlight the bongo man because he was mad good at it. They both seemed like they were communicating through music, that sort of thing. Don't quite know how to put it in words but I think you have to experience it yourself.

As for the people around me, they all looked like some bigshots to me. Men are in tux, ladies were in evening gowns and all. Datin, datuks, tan sris, that group of people. I felt a little underdressed I must confess but aiyah. I think I'm the youngest there anyway. Oh, I see quite a number of hemsem angmohs too. Heee.

The entire show took my anger away (Not entirely, cos' I still got to take the train and stuff) and it sort of lifted up my mood. Came back tired but happy definitely. Chucho was worth every cent I paid. :D

No comments: