Monday, September 29, 2008

Oh there goes my pianoforte ears.

Here goes another weird post.

Let me tell you what soothes me best when I wade through the ups and downs. Okay, by the title itself you should definitely know what I'm talking about. Right, so do you want a brief explanation or rather a detailed, lengthy, eye-boggling one? Argh. Since I'm too lazy to study and have been sticking myself to the computer chair for almost three hours, I think I should do the long one.
Uhm. I think I lost track of what I'm supposed to post about, so anyway, read on and see what I end up posting about. Haha.

At a young age, I adore the piano. Right, maybe adore might not be the word but, I really like it lah. Adore just fancies and exaggerates my interest. I remember when I used to hangover at Hannah's old crib, the one at Bayu Perdana, I'd play along with her keyboard. Not like play, as in professionally, but simply bang the keys and see what I can come out with. She's really kind enough to glue stickers on the keys with their respective names because I simply cannot remember what keys they are. Seriously, until today.

Plus, I'd hangout with Michelle, the Chan one, at our primary school library just to watch her play. I thank God she allowed me over to her place to play her piano. How kind of her to even let me ask all of those dumb questions of the whats and hows. I hope she didn't get irritated or something because after that we end up spending money and having fun at the local Pasar Malam. Oh I miss those days.

When I grew up, I still love the piano but I kind of lose the intentions on learning because of my age and people say you got to start from young so that your fingers are flexible and all that crap. Granny even wanted to buy me a keyboard when I was like 12, thank goodness she didn't. Haha. Now, I just listen to those famous piano pieces by great composers way back then. They're interesting compared to today's music with catchy pop beats or simply reggae or some loud thuds those rowdies play in their supertinted cars ( trying to describe techno, Malaysian style ) with their speakers blasting, trying to get some attention at the wee hours of the morning. Indirectly, my elder macha is one of them but he kind of lose the habit already, and I thank God for saving my poor eardrums.

On the other hand, I'm glad I took on Classical Guitar instead of the piano. Wonder why? Haha. Less taugehs ( notes ), less complicating ( just memorize the chords, fingerings, and styles and you're on the go! ) and less troubles ( tuning a guitar just takes a few minutes but tuning a piano? I think you need to hire someone for that and not to miss out, the piano needs to be spit-spot and dust-free all the time, right? ). Haha. Oh and the guitar is rather lightweight and portable. Heee. And that makes all the difference. =)

Random note:

More than words: Cleared!
Currently working on: Vincent ( Starry, starry night ) by Don Mclean.
Sigh. Lots of twist and turns for this one.
Right, so here are my favourites.

Johann Sebastian Bach.

One amazing fact: Bach's personal life was one of the happiest of any great musician. Twice married, he fathered twenty children, several of whom lived to become famous musicians in their own right. The composer's life has been described as being characterized by "clearness and acuteness of intellect, strength of will, a love of order and a high sense of duty".

Taken from my album cover. Sorry, no idea whom to credit here.

A father of twenty. Whoa. A happy man isn't he? Haha. Such productiveness during the olden days.

I highly recommend: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Little Suite and Air on the G String ( Not that G-string please, -_- ).

And next, ...

Frédéric Chopin.

On the gloomy side: Chopin had sufferred for many years from chronic respiratory ailments. In 1948 after a concerttour of England, he fell seriously ill and finally died on October 17, 1849, from tuberculosis. But he left behind a rich legacy, a major contribution to the world's musical heritage.

Taken from my album cover, again.


Must-hears/ downloads, whatever it is: Minute in Waltz in D-Flat Major, Nocturne in E-Flat Major, Prelude in A Major and Waltz in C-Sharp Minor.

And definitely Ludwig van Beethoven.

He looked like Joker, antique version or something like that. Pfft. Freaky lohh.

Another gloomy fellar: Around 1796, Beethoven began to lose his hearing. He suffered a severe form of tinnitus, a "ringing" in his ears that made it hard for him to perceive and appreciate music; he also avoided conversation. He lived for a time in the small Austrian town of Heiligenstadt, just outside Vienna. Here he wrote his Heiligenstadt Testament, which records his resolution to continue living for and through his art. Over time, his hearing loss became profound: there is a well-attested story that, at the end of the premiere of his Ninth Symphony, he had to be turned around to see the tumultuous applause of the audience; hearing nothing, he began to weep. Beethoven's hearing loss did not prevent his composing music, but it made concerts—lucrative sources of income—increasingly hard.
Beethoven used a special rod attached to the
soundboard on a piano that he could bite—the vibrations would then transfer from the piano to his jaw to increase his perception of the sound.

Wiki-ed this. Tired of looking at the dust-sized fonts of the album cover and typing it out.


I recommend: All of his sonatas. =)

I can go on listing all great composers, mainly, Franz Liszt, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart ( Whoa. Such a cool name o.o ), Johannes Brahms, Sergei Rachmaninoff and blahblahblah. Try em' out once in a while and you'll be amazed of what good music can really do to you. I sound like a desperate music school teacher trying to get some nonchalant students to pay attention in class. -_-

Oh and well. Thanks to sayangku, I am currently addicted to Yiruma. A Korean pianist and yeah, he's not hot but that's not my point. He can seriously create a calming, soothing, rejuvenating, whatever-ing feeling loh. Heee. Credits to sayang, I've downloaded some of Yiruma's hits. Thankyouberimuch, smooches for free. o.o

Yiruma.

Okay, this virtually took me 2 hours. ZOMGOSH. The haven't-study symptoms are back.

Thats all mates! Till then.

No comments: